Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A Note About School

I don't really talk about the fact that I am very (very, very, very) slowly pursuing a masters degree at a school here in the city.  I'm apparently working towards my M.Div in Women's Leadership and Biblical Counseling (sounds fancy right?).  This is my second semester and my second class.  Class began on Tuseday and I think I'm going to like it.  The class I'm in is one focused on personal spiritual disciplines and I just wanted to share a few points with you from the first chapter of this book:

(It doesn't look all that exciting but I really enjoyed reading the first chapter tonight in preparation for tomorrow's class and wanted to share a few thoughts from it with you.)

  1. To be disciplined costs your freedom.  A result of discipline is freedom.   I love, love, love this point.  He used the example of a guitar player.  Some one who has been disciplined with their practice for years will be free to play whatever they want.  How ever someone who does not practice is very limited in what they are able to play.  It's an idea that applies in many areas of our lives
  2. The presence of spiritual gifts in our lives does not mean that they will produce spiritual fruit.  We must intentionally train our selves and work to develop our "muscles" so that fruit will be produced.
  3. We are not supposed to wait for Holiness to happen to us, we are told to pursue it!  (See Hebrews 12:14 for the scripture on this one.)
Those are just a few things I've walked away with so far and I'm only two days in.  Rumor has it that this class will convict you and change your life if you actually apply the disciplines we are going to learn about to our lives.  I'm super pumped about this.  

One happy Book Nerd,

Mel C

1 comment:

  1. I love point #1. And the analogy is perfect. I never though the result of discipline is freedom. Wow, I'm going to need to chew on this one for a while. Thanks for sharing.

    Laura's Last Post: Random Thursday: For all my fellow nerds

    ReplyDelete