Thursday, January 6, 2011

Tuesday Mornings

I spent the summer of 2008 in Ethiopia.  As I was looking over my journal from that summer I found this in it and decided that it would be good to share it.  I was there to teach orphaned and refugee children English.  This is from my 8th and final week there.  Leaving was like leaving home again and a part of me is still not completely happy with still being here.  So, from Awasa, Ethiopia in July of 2008 I give you ...

Tuesday Mornings...
Today is Tuesday, my last full Tuesday in Africa.  I have found myself here to teach English to about 45 or so refugee children.  I am one part of a team of 8.  We have had 3 weeks of camp leading up to this point, so we are tired; tired to the point of being unhealthy.

In the 3 weeks leading up to today I have found that there is one day each week that seems to drag and that is Tuesday mornings.  They just seem to drag along.  It's very hard to stay awake for 6:30 devotional in a language you don't understand.  It always seems like they day just goes on and on.

I feel like this could be a Biblical principle.  When Elisha went to Herob in First Kings 19 I'm pretty sure it was a Tuesday.  Mary probably gave birth to Jesus on a Tuesday.  Sarah probably took her first pregnancy test on a Tuesday.  I really don't know the truth about this kind of stuff but there is a point I am trying to make.  

Sometimes time just seems to slow down, but most particularly it's when we are waiting on or expecting great things from God.  Or if we are just expectant about something.  We must learn to enjoy the Tuesday Mornings in our lives.  To take that time to grow our faith and strengthen us after the experience.  We must know and understand that Tuesday Mornings must happen and that we must learn not only to deal with them, but to also enjoy them.  They are after all a gift from God (and how we get to Tuesday afternoons).

Mel C

No comments:

Post a Comment