Thursday, December 30, 2010

Any Thing But Normal

"I just want to feel normal." is what was tossed in my face tonight as I enforced one of the rules in our house.  
That line cracks me up, and I responded with "There is no normal when you follow God."



The more that I have thought about it I realize just how true that is.  "There is no normal when you follow God."  How often is this an issue for Christians?  We want to follow God and we tell him that much and then we beg that he would just let us live normal lives.  In one breath we will ask God to use us is a radical way and the next we will talk about how we desire a normal, easy life.  We can not have both.  We must choose to follow God in all his wildness or to live a "normal" life.

This is something that I struggle with.  I'm 26, I live in a house with 11 other women, I make no real amount of money, and I'm not really sure where all this is headed.  My friends are married (or getting married soon) or have a strong career planned out, me I'm just chillin'.  But the best part is that I'm chillin' right where I need to be.  I get to see God do crazy things on a regular basis.

Yeah I could work a "normal" 9 to 5 type job and have some kind of consistency in my schedule but then I wouldn't get to see every member of someones family be drawn to God because of a choice that she made.  I wouldn't get to be a part of the raising up of a broken woman in to a woman of God with a firm foundation.  I wouldn't get to celebrate the completion of someone's first year clean in more then a decade.  Normal is a farce.

Normal robs of us the greatness God has for us.  If I were to choose a normal life I would be choosing an unhappy life.  I choose to be anything but normal.

Oddity of Oddities,
Mel C

1 comment:

  1. I'm praying/reading/learning this lesson while I'm working through Crazy Love by Francis Chan. (A book I meant to mention to you on our lunch date) Isn't it so exciting to be weird? :)

    Laura's Last Post: Random Thursday: Snail Mail

    ReplyDelete