Tuesday, January 25, 2011

I think I'm nesting... is that strange?

So, there is this phenomenon that happens to women in the last little bit of their pregnancies that society has deemed to call "nesting."  Now having never been pregnant my self I have never experienced this, but from what I understand is that it is a time in the last few months (or weeks) or the pregnancy that the soon to be mother cooks, cleans, and tidies up like mad.  I understand it to be a time of "spic and spanning" every thing including the pets.

I bring this up because well, this past week has been all about cleaning and cooking for me.  I have been in the kitchen everyday since last Thursday and plan on cooking something everyday until next Monday.  For some of you that sounds normal, but for me it's strange.  I live in house where someone else makes the food, I don't have to cook, I don't really have to clean, I just grocery shop.  But for some reason or the other I have decided that the best thing for me to do with my spare time is to cook or bake or look at recipes.  It's getting out of control.

Last Friday night I made a dinner that could have easily fed 6 for 2 people to eat.  Saturday I dipped pretzels in chocolate for 3 hours and then popped a whole lot of popcorn.  Sunday, I tried to bake a cake (epic fail due to a slight mix up with the ingredients).  Monday I tried to grocery shop (don't ask what tried means, let's just say I had to go back with money this time).  Today I'm making a cake and packing up four bags of supplies for a day in the kitchen tomorrow.  Tomorrow I'm going to make 2 batches of sugar cookies and 3 batches of sausage balls.  Thursday I'm going to prepare myself to make icing for the sugar cookies, and I'm going to ice them on Friday.  Saturday I'm going to prepare the sausage balls for a party, and make corn chowder for the house.  Sunday, I'm making rice and beans and some chocolate chip cookies.  The thing about this is it's madness.  These are not things I have to do, I want to spend this time cooking and in the kitchen.  It's where I find my time for myself and it's beginning to freak me out.

Please, if you have any ideas about what I can do to stop the madness send them on.... (All joking aside I'm learning that I really do love to cook and prepare menus and shop for the menus and to serve people with food.  It is a blessing and an honor to have so many opportunities to share with others.)  When I started this blog I didn't have a whole lot of guidelines for myself, except for one.  I didn't want to do a food blog.  There are a lot of those out there already.  But as I'm going along and spending so much time cooking I'm beginning to see that maybe, just maybe I should roll with it.  Keep your eyes peeled for some foodie posts soon.  I'm so excited!

Cooking like a crazy lady,

Mel C

No comments:

Post a Comment