Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Best Part About Today

Today was a strange day.  Nothing bad happened, no one at the house had a huge mishap; it was just a rough day for me.  My day started out nice enough.  I slept until 11 am, showered, had some time with God and then went to the kitchen for lunch and to dip some pretzels in chocolate for work.  That took me around 3 hours when everything was said and done.  By the time I had finished in the kitchen I felt like trash walking.  My head was throbbing, my mind was reeling and I just didn't want to spend the evening with the ladies.  I have learned that on days when I feel like this it's rough to be at work.  The house feeds off of everyone's mood, particularly the staff.  So, I tried to keep it low key and not be around the ladies to much because I did not want my emotions to rub off on them.  We had a nice slow night and enjoyed an evening in for a change.  Then one of my favorite time of day came.

I don't really like to work nights simply because it cuts out of my social life, but there is one part of the evening shift that I love.  I love lights out time, and not because they are going to sleep and I get to go to bed but because I get to tell them good night.  I go around from bed to bed and give them all hugs, tell them to sleep well and that I love them.  It means a lot to the ladies because they are away from those that love them and that they love and night time is the hardest time to be away from home.  It is a sweet, sweet time for me.

I'm going to be honest and tell you that I also really like doing it for some very selfish reasons.  The biggest one is that I get to be hugged 10 times and I am told that they love me.  I don't really talk about this much but sometimes being single can be, well, lonely.  When I hug the ladies and they tell me they love me it reminds me that I'm not alone.  And tonight was no different.  I got to go from bed to bed and hug their necks and say "I love you" and be told that they love me too.  It was good.  At the end of a day like today it is good to be reminded that I am loved and that when everything is said and done it's all going to be okay.

Good night, sleep well, and I love you,

Mel C

1 comment:

  1. Prayed for you on Saturday! I'm glad it turned out okay. Sorry it was rough. What a beautiful image of love you get to be for these women. You inspire me!

    Laura's Last Post: A Day In The Big City

    ReplyDelete