Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Reasons why I love my job...

This past May I moved from my cozy small college town that I called home to the biggest city in the state for a new job.  I live and work in a Bible based addiction and recovery home for women.  I have had a lot of days that ended with me crying and wondering why I have to be here and deal with the mess that comes from this work but today was a huge reminder of why I love being here and dealing with this mess.  In honor of that I'm going to share with you some reasons why I love my job...


REASONS WHY I LOVE MY JOB
  1. I have the chance to watch lives be saved.  I mean literally saved.  I have the honor of participating in and being a part of lives that should have ended days, months, and sometimes years ago.  Most of the women who come in here should have died at least 3 times and would have died in the next 30 days if they had not gotten a bed to sleep in at a program like ours.
  2. The ladies of the house have become a part of my family.  These woman thirst for pure, unconditional love and it is amazing to watch them blossom as a result of being loved for just being.
  3. I have a ready made social life.  It's like a bee hive around here.
  4. My boss and I have a great relationship which forces me to grow emotionally, spiritually, and mentally.
  5. Working with the ladies as they learn about God has grown my faith and my knowledge of my LORD.
  6. Crazy things happen that wouldn't make sense any where else but are perfectly acceptable here.
  7. I have the honor of being a part of some really intense front line style ministry.
  8. My behavior and general zany-ness is an accepted part of the day around here.
  9. God has used this job to show me that everything I have ever done is usable and that He has pieced it all together to make me more then able to do this job.
  10. For the first time in my life, it's okay that I don't have the answers and I don't want to be the answer for all their problems.
  11. There are 10 people who tell me on a regular bases that they love me and it's not strange or forced from them.
  12. I have learned to listen to people before I speak.
  13. Families are reunited.
  14. Legal charges get dropped as a result of the change that God has created in these women's lives.
Those are just some of the less complicated things that I love about my job.  There are a lot of things that I could say, but am not able to because they are so hard to understand if you aren't here for our day to day living.  It has been a blessed day (all of them are) here at the house as we have prepared for the graduation of 2 students in the morning.  I hope that you all have found something that makes you feel useful and needed daily.  I can't explain to you how knowing that I am right where I need to be has changed me, but it has and I choose to live this life this way because I refuse to step out of God's will and live it any other way.  

Hoping you have found your path and are enjoying it as much as I am mine,

Mel C

No comments:

Post a Comment